Saturday, June 5, 2010

Rain, rain come over here!

I am officially living proof that anything familiar is nice when you don't have it. This morning I woke up and it looked like it was going to be a fully rainy day, I happily made myself a cup of coffee and sat down to read some news. Sadly half an hour later the first real rain I've seen in a month vanished and stole my illusion of a rainy day. I had temporarily forgotten that here rain lasts for 10 minutes and blue sky is the status quo. I feel sorry for all those people that don't know the joy of making hot drinks, turning the heater on and remaining indoors for a week. The poor Melbournians that don't know what it is to have a weeks laundry drying around the house, to spend a Sunday with a fire, a book and the lulling sound of rain on the roof.
On the other hand I am also aware that too much rain is a bit of an issue for my wee country that used to be across the ditch. I was informed this week that you have now been completely submerged and I am officially a refugee. While you are all developing the required gills, scales and fins I am about to begin enjoying the benefits of refugee status.
On another note, I love my work at the creche. The children are fantastic, the bosses are great and I even enjoy nappy changing time. I know most of you can't really see me in a creche environment but I am in my element. I think sleep time may have a little something to do with it, I am paid to sit in a dark room with classical music playing rubbing children's backs for an hour and a half. Of course none of the children understand what I'm saying, if I want to get them to go to their beds I have to say "Go to bad." If I say it properly they look at me like I have three heads and then proceed to ignore me completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment