Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dreams are what make the stars sparkle and the moon shine :)

My roomate and I have a habit of exchanging gifts before Shabbat. This week she gave me a gorgeous, PINK notebook with the title of this blog on the front. For me I thought it was quite apt. My dream for the last few years was to go give it a go in Israel, moving to Australia was exciting until I got here and realised it wasn't the big move. The scary thing about being a grown up is that dreams aren't just dreams. I am not 15 sitting at Mum's imagining the kotel, I am 21 with the freedom to move there. In some ways the next move will be easier than here. I am being met at the airport, I have close friends who I don't feel bad to stay with. I won't be alone like I was when I got here etc. etc.

I have now set myself a budget and stuck to it, which means I am saving well. I have so far managed to rangle one extra hour of work, and I'm contemplating (as in hoping something will pop up in the Jewish news) getting some babysitting sometime soon to help me save. However I've realised tonight that this isn't quite enough. It will be great to arrive in Israel with some money to go shopping, and with my small grasp of Hebrew I could probably survive it. But I can only read the block Hebrew writing, and I will need cursive. Also my vocabulary is great if you want to talk about food, colours or numbers however beyond this you may as well speak chinese to me. So with an attempt to be a grown up and think ahead, I am going to begin concerted Hebrew learning! My focus: Vocabulary and cursive hebrew with some handy phrases thrown in for good measure. I think it is finally time to pull the flash cards out of my Hebrew book and use them!!!

I just have to figure out some sort of study programme that I will actually do. I'm contemplating beautiful sticker charts and perhaps employing roomates to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment