Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mutterings

This past week has been a tad uneventful, I was sick all week. Not properly sick, just constantly exhausted and coughing all the time (literally). I spent Sunday in bed with a headache and then finally woke up on Monday with some energy. I even did a proper grocery shop, laundry and tidied my room. Of course I didn't really need to do my washing, I had enough clothes to hold out for at least another two or three weeks. However, the grocery shop and room tidy have made a huge improvement to my mood. As always my life revolves around food, and it is VERY good to be back to my weekly meal plan and weekly grocery shop. Last week I lived on challah, chummus, polenta and Special K. By the way I fully recommend boiling polenta in soy milk (I'm guessing normal milk works as well) adding some sugar and vanilla essence and eating for dessert. It tastes very similar to rice pudding but takes five minutes.

On another note my mummy has been in Sydney this week. She managed to leave a couple of children in NZ and she didn't give the one in Melbourne enough warning to come for a visit. Basically, she's on her own! Something she has not done since my little brother was a baby, he's now a teenager. An odd thing about growing up is realising parents are real people. However, it is even odder when they are living a similar life to you! The word mum is supposed to describe someone bogged down by running a taxi service, catering business and cleaning company. Not someone living a nice indepedent life in Sydney. It's left me pondering how far an apple can actually fall from the tree. If you remove the life situation, I don't feel all that different from my mum. Granted, I am more organised, more analytical in my approach to everything. However my mum is more giving of her time, more relaxed, less judgemental (Hmmm perhaps we are quite different now I think of it!!) Really though, if you put us both on a plane and sent us to China (place where we would be as lost as each other!!!) I think we'd go about our days in a very similar way. I might have a list, but Mum could actually remember what she was doing without that list. Neither of us would be able to get on the right train and if you gave us a car we'd both be sure to lose it in the first parking lot we found.
She is returning to NZ tomorrow and back to mum life. There's a good few years till Lizzy moves out of home, so thankfully I won't have to ponder our similarities for a while yet. I am glad my mum didn't get away so much when I was at home! I have a feeling if she'd known what non mum life was like she might have been a little less useful as chauffer, chef and cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment