Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hello again

I currently have not spoken to any Israeli's since I woke up so I thought I should blog while I can still speak English.
I think the hardest thing about writing a blog is actually picking a title. You guys don't actually care because the only people reading this are those who care enough about me to want to know I am alive. So really I could just write yes I'm still alive every time and not write anything else. However, for some reason I have this need to sit and ponder the theme of my blog, and the theme of my last week, all just to write a title. Now that I have outlined my dilemma maybe I should actually write a blog :P
This week we have had tisha b'av, which is the day the temple in Yerushalayim was destroyed amidst other things. It's one of those days when I love living in a Jewish community. (I do all the time, but sometimes I REALLY do) We had the day off work and those of us that were going to be fasting were allowed to leave work early the day before. Unfortunately I was sick but had I been well there were various classes to go to and services everywhere. Even better than all of this though; when I walked to my friends to break the fast everyone in the neighbourhood was out and about buying food also. It's so nice to live in an area where every time of joy and every time of sorrow is celebrated communally.
I honestly feel sometimes like I live in a small town, I walk down the street and know most of the people. I know almost everyone in my apartment complex and have a couple of good friends in my apartment complex. I am always being invited everywhere and everyone is in my business. Also, if I am sick about 5 pots of chicken soup will somehow appear on my doorstep. On Shabbat you can walk down the road and greet everyone with Shabbat Shalom. At the time when meals usually finish on Friday night there will be Jew's EVERWHERE. It's a custom not to do washing during the 9 days leading up tisha b'av so suddenly this afternoon the washing lines will be full of everyones washing. On Friday when I go to buy challot the place is full, we have to take numbers and wait for our number to be called. Yet everyone is happy they are preparing for Shabbat. No one cares that they will be waiting for the next half an hour, everyone stands and chats.
I don't think I can convey the joy of living with people like me, people who understand my train of thought, or the problem I am trying to get around. When someone offers me a cup of tea here I don't have to try and figure out if it can be made kosherly, and when someone offers me a cake I can take it. I'm no longer the annoying person at work or uni who has to have specific days off. More importantly everyone know's why it matters. Torah isn't seen as some ancient outdated set of rules that we should give up because we are now 'modern.' I don't have to explain why I do what I do. Everyone understands the beauty of torah to one extent to or another. They intrinsically understand what it means to me, I am respected for the things I am ridiculed for in other groups.
Of course after all my rambling about being in a community I still want to be in Israel. It's great that we have these communities around the world, but it's time to move back to our country. Sapir's ima made my day yesterday and probably my whole week. She said I have a family in Israel and always a room in their house. :D Honestly anyone know a quick way to make money so I can say goodbye to my student loan and get on a plane to ISRAEL? I am currently contemplating becoming an author, however I think that is actually a slow way to make money and I don't actually know if I want to open myself up to so much ridicule. Also, there is cotton picking in summer here which I could always go and do. Sucks as a job and I would have to learn to deal with serious heat, however very very good money. Enough to pay off a reasonable amount of my student loan and go to Israel.

1 comment:

  1. I have money...but it kinda needs to go towards paying off my own loan lol. You will get to Isreal when the time is right, just gotta be patient =) Things seem to be working really well for you in Aus, it is awesome to hear you so happy!!

    ReplyDelete