Monday, July 26, 2010

Israeli Culture Lesson 1 (or maybe lesson 1278)

Tonight it was decided that I would learn an Israeli game called Yaniv. We sat down to play the game and the rules were explained in detail for me. Like every good kiwi I took note of the rules, asked the appropriate questions and set out to play the game. It was relatively simple and I caught on quickly. However there was one thing I was not told....
As the game progressed I noticed a surprising amount of people knew each others cards. I assumed this was due to extreme attention being paid (the sort I can't be bothered giving to a card game). I naively continued to play and was surprised that people appeared to also know a large amount about my cards. Then as the game was coming to a close I noticed people were actually willingly showing each other their cards and there was no need for subtlety before looking at someones cards. I have never been the best at hiding my cards but I have this innocent expectation that people don't actually try and look at them. The entire game I avoided looking at other peoples cards meanwhile everyone else knew at the very least what the people on either side of them had. Finally after the points had been scored people started to share other information. Not only had everyone looked at each others cards, cards has also been slipped to one another and who knows what else!
I have learned a vital lesson for future card games, cheating is not only allowed but encouraged and if I want to lose every single card game I should continue to be honest. Oy the moral decay has begun! However, really I will hold onto my ideal of cards. It's really not the same when everyone cheats! No one truly wins which is a very disappointing end to the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment